- Title: Craving Palestine Cookbook
- Author: Lama Bazzari, Farrah Abuasad
- Pages: 261
- Publisher (Publication Date): Story Farm; 1st Edition (September 15, 2020)
- Language: English
- ASIN: B08GPH4H78
- Download File Format: PDF
Craving Palestine is a not-for-profit cookbook showcasing over 100 beautifully curated recipes graciously donated by inspirational Palestinians from all walks of life, all of whom have come together in their love for food, poetry, and giving.
Craving Palestine gets to the heart of the relationship between food and identity, and depicts a very diverse community that includes actors, artists, chefs, filmmakers, and even US congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, real estate developer Mohamed Hadid, best selling poets and authors Naomi Shihab Nye and Susan Abulhawa, and includes recipe dedications in memory of Palestinian literary giants Edward Said and Mahmoud Darwish.
The book’s contributors come from far and wide, characteristic of the Palestinian diaspora, ranging from the rainforests of Chile to the farms of Jenin, to the coast of Gaza and across the landscapes of the Americas.
Through the voices and tales of each contributor, you can travel through Palestine—from the coast of Gaza to the fertile lands of Jericho, from the hilltops of Nablus, through the century’s old markets of Bethlehem and Jerusalem, to the vast farmlands of Jenin and Hebron. Interwoven throughout are recipes led with aromatic ingredients that come to life in your kitchen. Discover each region’s unique and distinct flavors as diverse as our landscape and the civilizations that have passed through and greatly influenced its cuisine.
The recipes include traditional classics, passed down through generations, and innovative modern reinterpretations on Palestinian favorites. They include everyday dishes, holiday feasts and mouthwatering desserts meant to be relished with family and friends.
Full proceeds of book sales will go towards education, development, and health programs that benefit Palestinian communities across Palestine, Lebanon, and Jordan, offering hope and opportunities where they are needed most through our NGO partner Anera.
Your purchase of Craving Palestine raises funds to help Anera continue delivering impactful programs in Palestine, Lebanon, and Jordan. The book’s proceeds will support Anera’s:
• EDUCATION PROGRAMS, like those that educate preschoolers and their parents about holistic care, from good foods to active play, or vocational training courses that teach useful skills to burgeoning bakers.
• DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS, like those that train family farmers how to keep their land healthy and productive or build community centers where women’s cooperatives can make food products to sell for income.
• HEALTH PROGRAMS, like those that link homes to clean, safe water networks, or spread messages of protecting health through safe handling of food and water and rational use of medicines.
Craving Palestine recipe book is meant to showcase Palestine’s beautiful cuisine, and our hope is that people worldwide enjoy and share these recipes with their family and friends and truly experience a taste of our beautiful Palestine.