- Title: Eating from Our Roots: 80+ Healthy Home-Cooked Favorites from Cultures Around the World: A Cookbook (Goop Press)
- Author:Maya Feller MS RD CDN
- Pages: 224
- Publisher (Publication Date): Rodale Books (January 24, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10, ISBN-13 or ASIN: 0593235088
- Download File Format:EPUB
From “one of the most brilliant registered dietitians ever” (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes a culinary trip around the globe with 80+ delicious, healthy recipes for heritage dishes embraced by diverse groups of people living in the United States.
“A multicultural road map to healthier eating . . . While most dietitian-driven cookbooks are full of ‘No!’ . . . this one delights with ‘Yes!’ and makes the reader want to head for the kitchen.”—Jessica B. Harris, Ph.D., author of High on the Hog
The typical American diet is heavy in added sugars, salts, and synthetic fats, but one-size-fits-all nutrition plans often leave many of us wanting more. There’s a more delicious way to eat sustainably and healthfully, by getting back to flavorful traditional cooking methods from cultures around the world including the Caribbean, South America, Africa, the Mediterranean, Asia, and more.
In Eating from Our Roots, Maya Feller, a registered dietitian and nutritionist known for her approachable, real-food-based solutions, highlights nourishing dishes from around the world with a focus on whole and minimally processed ingredients prepared with spices and flavor-enhancing techniques at home. She shares thoughtful and realistic ways to think about how we relate to food, along with nutrition highlights and tips throughout. Maya makes it easy to enjoy the vibrant flavors of your favorite cuisine, whether that’s the foods you grew up eating in the family kitchen or new recipes you’re discovering for the first time. Recipes like:
• Sweet Potato and Leek Soup with Crispy Potato Skins from West Africa
• Salted Cod from Trinidad & Tobago
• Mezze: Cucumber Za’atar Salad, Olive Oil Labneh, and Olives from Lebanon
• Pad See Ew with Chicken from Thailand
• Cajun Gumbo from the American South
• Pao de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread) from Brazil
With more than eighty recipes and beautiful photography throughout, Eating from Our Roots is a love letter to the globe that celebrates its amazing diversity of nourishing, flavorful dishes.