- Title:The Bloomsbury Handbook of Indian Cuisine
- Author: Colleen Taylor Sen
- Pages: 452
- Publisher (Publication Date): Bloomsbury Academic (February 23, 2023)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10, ISBN-13 or ASIN: 1350128635
- Download File Format:EPUB
This reference work covers the cuisine and foodways of India in all their diversity and complexity, including regions, personalities, street foods, communities and topics that have been often neglected.
The book starts with an overview essay situating the Great Indian Table in relation to its geography, history and agriculture, followed by alphabetically organized entries. The entries, which are between 150 and 1,500 words long, combine facts with history, anecdotes, and legends. They are supplemented by longer entries on key topics such as regional cuisines, spice mixtures, food and medicine, rites of passages, cooking methods, rice, sweets, tea, drinks (alcoholic and soft) and the Indian diaspora. This comprehensive volume illuminates contemporary Indian cooking and cuisine in tradition and practice.